Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Homemade Dog Bed

My house was in need of a dog bed that wasn't an eye sore and at the same time was affordable! So I set out to find the cheapest yet homiest (is that a word?!) items to make my pups a comfortable bed that would look good with my decor!
My first step was to find a unique piece of furniture that I could use as the bed frame! Here in Austin, TX we have a Habitat for Humanity Restore Store. It was at this hidden gem, that I found an old desk drawer for $3!





After deciding on how fluffy I wanted the pillow and taking measurements, I decided on fabric. This was the only thing I splurged on and purchased at Hancock Fabrics for $17. It's totally worth it for me since it is the upholstery fabric so it will stand up against my pups claws and do well in the wash. I also picked up 2 bags of Hobby Lobby Shredded Poly Foam ($5 each) and some cream colored muslin,which was on sale at Hobby Lobby for $2!!






I sweet talked a friend into helping me; a person who can sew only a button, make the pillow case! We decided a European Envelope style pillowcase was best and so that's what my friend did!!! She can work magic!
I decided that green was a color that would work in any room of my home so I ventured to Walmart and checked out their "oops!" paint. They had the PERFECT green paint that I picked up for $4! Then I went back to Hobby Lobby and had to decide between 2 handles.... And the winner was an antique brushed gold oval knob for $4!
I sanded down the drawer, painted it with 2 coats of the super awesomely cheap paint and "helped" (aka watched) my friend make the pillow cases! Once everything was dry and sewn together, I screwed in the new knob, placed the pillow in the drawer and let my pups check it out and get comfy!




I spent a total of $45 on all materials and made it in 2 days! I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out, knowing that I have something made to match my home perfectly! I hope it inspires you to make something you & your loved ones, pets included, can enjoy!



      - Lorye


No comments:

Post a Comment